Type to search

Rumors of Aaron Rodgers Turning Down a Contract Extension Circulate, Although Doubted

There’s no question that Aaron Rodgers has been the face of the Packers’ franchise since taking over as starting quarterback in 2008. In fact, he’s only had two losing seasons since and went 26-6 over the past two years. Despite the three league MVPs and a Super Bowl title, the Packers and Rodgers now appear to be at a crossroads. Many fans, including the world of online sports betting, are eagerly waiting for the conclusion.

The 37-year-old Rodgers turned down a two-year contract extension, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Sources indicated that the extension would have kept Rodgers with the Packers through the 2025 season and made him the highest paid player in the entire league. To be clear, there is still plenty of doubt surrounding this information.

Three months ago, it was made known through sources to Schefter that Rodgers had become disgruntled with the Packers’ management.

Therefore, his return to the team seemed precarious at best. Nevertheless, the Packers have always maintained that they would not trade Rodgers.

On Rodgers’ end, he has stood firm and didn’t show up to voluntary OTAs for the first time since entering the NFL in 2005. With training camp set to begin in a week, the situation becomes more dire for the Packers with every passing day.

It appears that the Packers trading up in 2020 to draft quarterback Jordan Love without telling Rodgers has been a major issue for him. Rodgers has been steadfast that his issue has nothing to do with the pick itself, but with about the organization doing things the right way.

As much as Rodgers saying it isn’t about picking Love, it really is. You think Rodgers would care if the wasn’t told that the team was trading up to select a receiver or running back? It’s clearly about the team drafting a potential replacement for Rodgers without letting him know. Despite the fact that Rodgers is still at the top of his game, he will turn 38 in December and sooner rather than later the Packers need to think about a replacement.

For Rodgers to turn down a deal that would make him the highest paid player in the league isn’t a good sign that he’ll return to Green Bay. Although away from the team, he’s kept busy, fine tuning his golf game in a made-for-TV charity event and the Celebrity Championship at Lake Tahoe. In addition, he’s made guest hosting appearances on Jeopardy!, all ways to keep the proper frame of mind.

Picturing Rodgers in another uniform is difficult, but the longer he remains unsigned, the more likely it could become a reality. If that is the case, a new era of Packers football is right around the corner.

Tags:
Ed Rooney

Just a guy with too much free time trying to help out.

36 Comments

1. Tom M July 21, 2021

The one thing we know is the Green Bay Packers never ever talk about money and specific contracts. Never. So this notion that Rodgers turned down a 90 million dollar contract extension at 45 million per season for a two years is total bull shit. Conveniently coming to light less than a week before camp opens. Only team Rodgers can be responsible for circulating such a turd. “Why, I’m a man of principle” says tinker bell, “I turned down 90 million to stand up for myself.” Ok, sweetheart, then retire now and walk away from 35 million this season. If you can walk away from 90 million then you can easily walk away from a third of that. But like going on Pat McAfee and proclaiming himself the goat. He can talk the talk but can’t walk the walk. His sorry little will report to camp and he’ll collect his checks. All the while thinking in his mind he stood up for himself. Never have I seen an athlete so out of touch with his fan base. And I lived thru Favre. He’s even got Shailene Woodley and his dad Ed fighting the good fight for him. The circus has come to town.

1. Mick July 22, 2021

Ya, I mentioned about 2 months ago that I want to hear these things from the horses mouth rather than listen to every talking head on TV or the radio. The media has only one objective, and that is to conjure up a story, create as much buzz as possible, throw there own “spin” on it, and what tickles me pink; is when they try to outdue each other. We have nothing new to digest, (with meaning, or fact) since this shit show started.

1. PF4L July 22, 2021

“So this notion that Rodgers turned down a 90 million dollar contract extension at 45 million per season for a two years is total bull shit.” – Princess
        Those numbers came from….where?

2. NobodysBurfect July 22, 2021

I would love to hear the actual details of this contract extension he was offered. The only thing that matters is the guaranteed money – you all know that. It’s entirely possible they offered him a front loaded contract, maybe with a massive roster bonus, that still gave the FO the option to reasonably walk away from him early.

There’s a great article in Defector about this (defector is where the former deadspin writers are now). Worth a read.

1. Tom M July 22, 2021

I’m not so sure a contract extension was ever offered. The Packers aren’t saying and probably won’t. And I don’t trust what the media is saying. It’s pretty much Rodgers propaganda in order to keep the heat on the organization to facilitate a trade and time is running out. What we do know is the Packers tried to restructure Rodgers contract to sign FA’s. This coming from agents from FA players who had no dog in the fight one way or the other. Not only did Rodgers decline to restructure, he told FA not to sign with the Packers. Which tells you he doesn’t care about the fans or his teammates and tried to undermine the team.

While it is true Mark Murphy offered Brett Favre a “job” within the organization to stay retired back in 2008. And according to Favre the annual salary was 20 million a year. That’s hush money at its finest. It’s important to note that such deal would have no impact on the cap at the time and those funds would have come from the organizational side of the budget. Not the football side. I’m extremely skeptical the Packers would commit upwards of 90 million dollars for any player three years from now in his 40’s. Now, if Rodgers wins a SB this year then I think you probably have to offer an extension. Another MVP, no.

1. PF4L July 22, 2021

That Favre “Ambassador” money would have no impact on the team salary cap?
        Wow!!…who knew?
        Can you tell us more?
        ********************
        Really?
        Prove it.
        Show us where you discovered this.
        No excuses…no BS…show us.

1. Tom M July 22, 2021

I understand this is a difficult time for you. Your hero and first love has turned into a selfish prick and doesn’t love you anymore. Here’s a little secret. He never loved you. After Brett Favre you should have saw this coming. Now you feel violated yet again. So you lash out against management and those that say enough already. Take your Aaron Rodgers yearbook with all his stats and curl up in your Packers comforter and sleep for days. Somebody needs a nap….

1. PF4L July 22, 2021

Unsubstantiated rumor = Report: Aaron Rodgers told prospective Packers free agents he likely won’t be on the team
            Princess Tommy version = “Not only did Rodgers decline to restructure, he told FA not to sign with the Packers.”
            MORON

3. Tom M July 22, 2021

This is what you do PF4L. Google “Aaron Rodgers tells FA’s not to sign with the Packers.” Then report back to us and tell us what you find. There are articles by Sporting News, CBSSports, Profootball talk, Yardbarker, NYPost, Forbes, Fanside, just to name a few dated 5/5/21. They all confirmed he did just that. And this man is your hero. Pathetic.

1. PF4L July 22, 2021

Oh ok….there is one report (rumor)…not sourced, from Mike Garafolo.
      By free agents, he means his teammates.
      It does NOT report that Rodgers told them not to sign, it says he told them that he may not be back,
      You fucking moron.
      Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2021.
      The article also said…”If the report is accurate”
      But what do you do….you take a rumor, non substantiated, manipulate the report to sound worse, and then speak as if it happened.
      MORON

1. PF4L July 22, 2021

Tom M July 22, 2021
        And I don’t trust what the media is saying.
        Gee, seems like you do……Moron

2. Tom M July 22, 2021

Look babe, you wanted sources. I gave you sources. Do I think Aaron Rodgers told FA’s not to sign with the Packers? You bet your sweet ass I do! He’s that kind of selfish pick. Totally in his character. If you choose not to believe that’s your business. Denial can be a powerful thing….

1. PF4L July 22, 2021

What you think……..is not fact.
          Moron

1. Tom M July 22, 2021

And who you worship is no savior….

2. Tom M July 22, 2021

And who you worship is no savior….

3. PF4L July 23, 2021

Great comeback little man.
            I’m devastated :)

2. rebelgb July 22, 2021

Epic Truth. Rodgers will be back before game 1. I will bet my first born on it. After 2021, F*ck him, Super Bowl or not. Time to move on. If the Milwaukee Bucks taught us anything its not having an ego driven pre-madonna as your super star is the best way to win as a franchise.

4. Tom M July 22, 2021

And here’s another one for you PF4L. Google: “Rodgers turns down contract extension to make him the highest paid player in football.” It specifically states “the final two years would have paid Rodgers in excess of 45 million per season.” I know that’s a lot of homework. Maybe you can get Cheese or MMSUCKS to help you.

1. PF4L July 22, 2021

Show me where is specifically states “the final two years would have paid Rodgers in excess of 45 million per season.”
      Link it…if you don’t know how, just ask for help.

1. PF4L July 22, 2021

Take your time Princess

2. Tom M July 22, 2021

I’m not going to read it to you. I’m not your mother. You googled the first one, you can find this one too. But it’s right after the part where it says the extension would “exceed Patrick Mahomes annual salary and 500 million dollar contract to be the highest paid player in all of football.” I say it never happened because it’s out of character for what Russ Ball, Brian Gutekunst, and Mark Murphy would do. While it’s totally in character for Rodgers to fabricate such nonsense to make this about principle. When In reality it’s about a baby throwing a tantrum and not getting his way.

1. PF4L July 23, 2021

I said link it….not read it to me….Moron.

1. Tom M July 23, 2021

It’s not my responsibility to fact check for you. Get off your lazy fat ass and do it yourself. It’s got numbers in it so it’s just like stats. You’ll love it and be able to jerk off all over it. It’s in at least three articles and two pod casts.

2. PF4L July 23, 2021

Wouldn’t i find it sitting on my fat lazy ass?
            What wrong with you boy?
            If you can’t do it, you can’t do it.
            By now…nobody believes the bullshit you write anyway, little man.

3. Tom M July 23, 2021

I’m not playing this game with you. I say something you don’t like and you want “sources”. Look it up. Article is dated 7/20/21. I understand you have a limited education and work in the food services industry. But you can do it. You found the other one dated 5/5/21. You can find this one. Pretending it didn’t happen doesn’t mean it didn’t.

4. PF4L July 23, 2021

” I’m not playing this game with you. I say something you don’t like and you want “sources” -Princess
            Translation….
            “I say something untrue, and you want me to source it. I’m not playing this game with you. It exposes me as a liar, and you won’t let me get away with it, you’re a big meanie!!” – Princess

5. PF4L July 23, 2021

“Pretending it didn’t happen doesn’t mean it didn’t.” – Princess
            More accurately…..(cough)
            Pretending it did happen, doesn’t mean it happened

5. Tom M July 23, 2021

CBSSports”Packers offer to make QB highest paid player” 7/20/21. Now, you need your mommy to wide your ass for you too? I’ll get her. Just as soon as I’m finished with her.

1. PF4L July 23, 2021

Wide your ass?
      What could that possibly mean?
      You ok Princess?

6. Tom M July 23, 2021

This just in: PF4L is petitioning the Packers to remove the classic “G” from all Packer helmets to be replaced with a likeness of Aaron Rodgers. With a proposed corresponding name change to the “Green Bay Rodgers.” Both Cheese and MMSUCKS are giddy with excitement…..

7. Killer July 23, 2021

It’s funny, Piffle and Tom M seem to have the exact same personality. Don’t drink the Wisconsin water, kids!

In this epic match, I’m going to give the edge to Tom M. Reason being, he is highly aware of what a selfish ass Rodgers is while Piffle is still clueless despite years and years of evidence. I also do think Piffle could and should have looked up the sources and then he play-acted like they did not confirm what Tom M said.

I will say this, though, Tom M: That contract offer — which may or may not have ever happened — was almost certainly leaked by the Packers org. They want to show they’ve made every effort to get Rodgers back whereas refusing tons of money and an extension as the highest paid only makes Rodgers look worse. If you look at who stands to gain and motives, it almost had to be the Packers org, not Rodgers.

I still say Rodgers is going to show up Day 1 to camp. It’s like Tom Brady said to Rodgers: he has no options. He is going to go in, pretending to be a conquering “doing it for the team” here, when, really, he is defeated and was expertly manipulated and worked over by the Packers org. Case in point, this latest “leak.” Murphy has shown he is an expert Rodgers manipulator, he is always three steps ahead of Rodgers, and I guarantee Rodgers will, in the end, after this silent whine-fest, show up completely cowed and obedient and servile.

1. PF4L July 23, 2021

“I also do think Piffle could and should have looked up the sources and then he play-acted like they did not confirm what Tom M said.”
      I looked up one source, did it confirm what Princess said LB?
      ““Not only did Rodgers decline to restructure, he told FA not to sign with the Packers.” – Princess
      Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2021.
      Thanks for joining LB, Now with you and the Princess, we get treated to a double dose of stupid.

8. Killer July 23, 2021

To be fair, it was not really a fair debate for Piffle. He was partially high from huffing a pair of Rodgers’ used panties.

1. PF4L July 23, 2021

You don’t sound like Tommy………..at all.

9. Tom M July 23, 2021

Do you need me to link that to you? I understand you may not be able to ready your own posts…

1. PF4L July 23, 2021

I understand trying to pass your GED exams have been very exhausting for you.

What Are Your Thoughts? Comment Now! *No Registration Required*