Type to search

Packers News: Jimmy Graham is Gone, Draft Picks Finalized, Bryan Bulaga May Be Out of Packer’s Price Range

First of all, I miss all you folks. Sorry for the lack of communication, this site will never die. Do not worry.

_________

It’s official: veteran TE Jimmy Graham, who was being paid top dollar by the Packers for mediocre performance, is released and will not be returning next season. I am Jack’s complete lack of surprise.

This frees up $8 million in salary cap for the Packers this season. Last season, Graham was the highest paid tight end in the league. He has not really done much since his days with the Saints to justify that pay so I do not imagine he will get close to that in free agency.

Jimmy Graham - Packers vs Rams 2018

Jimmy Graham (80) looks on against the Los Angeles Rams at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports

_________

Packers Draft Picks Finalized:

Packers draft picks

In text form:

Round 1: #30
Round 2: #62
Round 3: #94
Round 4: #136
Round 5: #175
Round 6: #192, #208, #209
Round 7: #236, #242

The 2020 NFL Draft begins on Thursday, April 23rd in Las Vegas(technically Paradise, NV). I was seriously considering going this year, but COVID-19 has put a damper on those plans. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of the public events around it are cancelled. Not saying they should or shouldn’t, just sharing my thoughts.

_________

Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports places RT Bryan Bulaga’s free agency value at $12 million

This further reduces the odds that he will get the type of deal he expects from the Packers on a new contract.

The Athletic quoted Bulaga earlier this month on his desire to return to the Packers(from an interview with ESPN Wisconsin):

I told this to Coach LaFleur in our exit interview, and I have no problem saying it. This was probably one of the more fun years I’ve had as a Packer.

It’s tough to think about. But obviously, I think anyone that knows me and knows my mindset about this, everyone knows that I would love to be back with the Green Bay Packers. I don’t think anyone questions that. It would be, to me, really cool to start and finish my career in the same spot.

I think that would be awesome. There’s no doubt about that. As I’ve told you guys many times, I grew up in Green Bay, essentially – having kids, getting married, a lot of ups and downs. A lot of great things happened in my 10 years in Green Bay and there’d be nothing better than to finish my career out as a Green Bay Packer.

But in the same light, you understand that this is a business, and I don’t know what’s going to happen going forward. I don’t know what the Packers’ plans are, and it’s one of those things that we’ll have to see. I’ve gotten a lot of (messages) from people on Twitter saying, ‘Just take a deal!’ Well, it’s not as simple as that, as you know. It’s just not as simple as that. So we’re going to have to see what happens and see what takes place in the coming months.

NBC Sports reported yesterday that the Milwaukee Journal indicated that the Packers haven’t really done much to reach out to him so do not be surprised.

_________

Free Agent LB Christian Kirksey recently visited the Packers

Drafted in the third round of the 2014 NFL Draft by the Cleveland Browns, Kirksey was released by the team earlier this month.

_________

QB Aaron Rodgers mentioned on Jeopardy:

You can watch the video of the full Football category here:

Tags:
Jason Parker

Was on the Allen Lazard hype-train before all the cool kids were doing it

15 Comments

1. Mitch Anthony March 12, 2020

It might be helpful to all those folks who think it is easy to trade and bundle lower picks and move up to actually see what those picks are worth. The most widely used NFL trade value chart would offer Green Bay these numbers:
    – R1/30= 620
    – R2/64= 284
    – R3/94= 194
    – R4/136= 38
    – R5/175= 20.2
    – R6/192= 13.4
    – R6/208= 7.0
    – R6/209= 6.6
    – R7/236= 1.0
    – R7/242= 1.0
    – The total number of all these picks is 1185.2. For what it’s worth R1/12 is valued at 1200. There isn’t much move-up leverage here but there might be a move-back scenario to fall back a few spots out of the first and maybe gain an extra fourth from a willing partner. We’ll see, I think BG really needs to hit on a few of these picks. No more Gary/Burks type surprises please.

Welcome back Jason.

2. frank oresnik March 12, 2020

Those are rough guidelines and not hard and fast. During the draft when the juices are flowing ,the excitement of the moment, etc. Often teams overpay when trading picks.It’s like the action at an auction when items are regularly overbid. I think we can trade back from 30 to say 40 and still get a highly rated WR. Rather than sign an overpriced veteran WR we’d have our guy on the rookie contract. We’ll know more after the FA period where we should be able to acquire a starter quality TE.
    By trading back from 30, to say, 40 ,we likely pick up another 3rd rounder as well as the 2nd. rounder we traded positions for, both of them being early in their respective rounds than our own original picks.

1. Stiggy March 12, 2020

Yeah just think… the packers had the number 12 pick and choose the total trash heap known as Rashan Gary. What a failure of a rookie year. Here is what one football pundit had to say about him in his post 2019 season draft grades. He compared his initial thoughts at the time of draft to actual performance.

***************************************************************************

Grade at time of draft – D
      Grade after first season – F

It’s still unclear why the Packers chose Rashan Gary at No. 12 overall. He performed poorly as a rookie, playing more than 20 snaps just twice. This happened prior to Week 6, and Gary was barely seen in the playoffs. He did nothing well, and his lackluster work ethic will likely prevent him from ever reaching his potential.

Original Write-up:

I can’t really get behind this pick. Rashan Gary is insanely athletic and physically talented, but he was a huge disappointment as a player in Michigan. He also has some off-the-field concerns. There was speculation that Gary would fall to the 20s, which would’ve been a reasonable spot to select him. Not here, though. This is a major reach. If Gary couldn’t produce in college, why would that suddenly happen when he has an NFL contract?

3. Mitch Anthony March 12, 2020

Stiggy,

I didn’t make the connection until I read your post. The total value of all the 2020 picks is slightly less than the pick that was used for just one Rashan Gary in 2019. Wow, there it is. Makes me feel even better about that prospect.

1. PF4L March 12, 2020

Looking back…..
      PF4L March 13, 2018
      I have no words…

But i will.
      *************************
      They cut Nelson because they felt he wasn’t worth his 9.5 million/year. The signing of Graham was sold to us as someone who can replace the scoring of Nelson. In Nelson’s last 7 games playing with Rodgers, he had 6 receiving TD’s. In Grahams two seasons with Rodgers, he’s had 5 receiving TD’s. 22 million dollars later….Not Gutes finest moment.
      If 9.5 million dollars isn’t worth it for someone with the most TD’s (14) in 2016, i don’t know what is.
      That Graham signing and the Nelson ordeal were colossal fuck ups.

1. Ferris March 13, 2020

Nelson is 34, same age as Julian Edelman. Still miss him. Thanks a lot Kizer, wouldn’t toss it to White Chocolate (Ike Taylor)

1. Ferris March 13, 2020

Actually Edelman is 33. But still.

4. PF4L March 12, 2020

Lets welcome back our hero, mentor, and our American Idol J. P..
    ***
    Nobody can keep our man down for long. Certainly not some false accusations from some drunk floozey who was probably asking for it anyway by the way she was dressed.
    ***
    Regardless, its a great day when he got released. Always remember,….innocent until proven guilty.
    ****
    We got your back J.P. !!
    *****

1. PF4L March 14, 2020

Well…i do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

1. Howard March 14, 2020

I want you and J.P. to know that if we ever get into really heavy combat… I’ll be right behind you guys. Every step of the way. :-)

1. PF4L March 14, 2020

In turn, you guys should know, if there are any threats of combat amongst my Packer Nation brethren, it won’t get to either of you because they’d have to go through me first.
          With that said, you know i think the world of you and JP. It’s really no secret since JP made his first appearance in here, the amount of admiration he has shown to me is almost overwhelming, along with the high level of respect that i seemingly have earned from him.
          My innate humility keeps me from commenting any further on this, so i’m not even going to bring it up

5. PF4L March 15, 2020

WOW….NFLPA members vote yes on CBA by a paltry 60 votes.
    I was way wrong about predicting how this was going down. I thought Smith and the players would dig in their heels about an extended season (until they got a shitload of money)
    As is, the Players revenue take will increase from 47% to 48.5 %. Which is substantial when looking at it long term. The 10 year yield will amount to about 5 billion in additional players revenue.Nothing to sneeze at, But remember, it includes a 17th game. Most likely starting in the 2021 season.
    Random thoughts…
    Some owners (handful?) apparently aren’t happy with the new deal. Wanting to negotiate for 18 games right away instead of 17. but unless they have a 2/3 rds majority, what they want doesn’t matter.
    Vice President (Russell Okung) of the NFLPA filed a lawsuit against Smith and the NFLPA accusing them of fast tracking the vote and not disclosing all the details to the NFLPA Executive Committee. It isn’t a stretch to assume there is turmoil and dissent within the Union ranks. I wouldn’t be surprised with an upheaval of a no confidence vote against Smith somewhere down the road. (which probably should have happened 9 years ago by the players.).
    Lastly…i can’t take credit for this, but this guy makes a potentially valid point…..
    S S 10 hours ago
    I am betting each teams 17th game will be in either London or Mexico City.

6. Big B March 15, 2020

Castonzo just resigned with Indy for $33M over 2 years,AND, he’s a couple years older than Bulaga….even if BB felt a little benevolent toward a home town discount there’s no way I see the Packers laying out that kind of money. Where are Derek Sherrod and Jason Spriggs when we need them? Can’t believe the price TT paid to move up and get Spriggs ahead of the Bears…never realized at the time TT was tanking.

1. PF4L March 16, 2020

Rest easy….We picked up Billy Turner. Gute told us he can play across the line. I don’t see a problem.

1. PF4L March 16, 2020