Type to search

Articles & Analysis

Did You Get Sprayed by the Splash Brian Gutekunst Made

Adrian Amos tackles Lance Kendricks

Lance Kendricks (84) makes a catch against Chicago Bears strong safety Adrian Amos (38) during the second quarter at Soldier Field. Mike DiNovo-USA TODAY Sports

I’ve been pondering a list of the 50 top free agents available in 2019 that CBS Sports compiled. Numbers 28 through 34 are all still available as I write, but 18 of these 27 top players have pending deals.

Of those 18 players, how many teams do you think are about to sign up more than one of these coveted guys? Just One. Who? Green Bay. Brian Gutekunst and his scouting team are reported to be about to sign up numbers 12 (LB Preston Smith), 13 (LB Za’Darius Smith), and 15 (Adrian Amos). Considering there are over 600 free agents out there, not bad.

Gutey indicated he was going to be active in free agency. That can go down as the understatement of the year so far.

How many Packers players were on the list of 50 about-to-be free agents? Just one, Muhammad Wilkerson (#47), who has only suited up in the green and gold three times in his life.

Just a couple days ago, I surmised that we’d probably know by March 15 whether the Packers were going to continue to rebuild its roster to be a contender down the road, or whether they planned to be a contender in 2019. I got my answer. Gutey brought in three guys who are undoubtedly penciled in as starters.

Let’s throw in Broncos guard Billy Turner, who the Packers are said to be about to pay $28 million for four years. The plan is undoubtedly for him to start too.

All members of the foursome are 27 or younger – presumably in their prime. All four were well regarded by most free agency experts. All arguably had their best year in 2018, and all are likely still getting better. All four should nicely fill current roster weak spots: guard, safety, and two outside linebacker slots. All four are about to commit to four years in Green Bay.

We are witnessing history being made, my friends.

Tags:
Rob Born

Someone else said it first but I popularized it: “Athleticism is important in athletic pursuits.” It took three years, but the Packers finally listened. My new mantra: “Trading down is fine, but never trade up.”

11 Comments

1. Skinny March 13, 2019

Im drinking the kool aid. I love what Gute did. They needed some juice on this team and for this defense badly and they got it. They cant keep doing the same shit year after year with draft and develop and second rate FA with not much left in the tank. I would have cut Tramon, Bulaga and Graham as well and went out and got Earl but I guess that was asking for too much. But this is a good change for this team. We can really focus on the offense now in the draft if we want to.

1. Packer Pete March 13, 2019

I agree! Need a real play maker like Earl Thomas, the others may or may not pan out- all appear overpaid but that is the trend in the NFL. Not sure we’re much better, now…

2. Kato March 13, 2019

Adrian Amos is so overrated. Good player not great, basically a HHCD more willing to tackle. His coverage skills are average.

1. Richard Smith March 13, 2019

Rated the 8th best safety in the league last year. You must be a Bears fan that is lying to yourself to alleviate the pain.

1. PF4L March 14, 2019

….and Tramon Williams was graded the 9th best corner, and Jeff Saturday was voted into the Pro Bowl his last season, after being benched for poor play.

2. Richard Smith March 13, 2019

KATO must be a Bears fan lying to himself in order to alleviate his pain. Amos was rated in the top 10 of safeties last year. Also, the comparison to Dix, but a better tackler. Take it! You forget Dix made the Pro Bowl.

3. KILLER March 13, 2019

As an Anti-Packer, I am still compelled by honesty to say “The Pettine Zoo” defense was, what, 12th in the NFL last year in YR 1 and they did that with PED Husk Clay-Mation Matthews and Raggedy Man Nick Perry and a zombie named Tramon Williams, normally a CB zombie, playing safety. 3/11th of the defense, at least, did not belong on an NFL field.

Has more money ever EVER been spent for so little production from a pair of OLBs in a 3-4 in NFL history? I really doubt it. On paper this is a, what, +14 to the sack totals? Almost an extra sack per game?

The Pettine Zoo may be formidable this year and coming.

You guys might be able to split your games with the Lions this year if the ball bounces in your favor….

1. PF4L March 14, 2019

….and the queens might win a Super Bowl sometime in the next 50 years….and the Easter Bunny mIght visit your trailer home this Easter.

GOOD THINGS.

4. Packtat87 March 13, 2019

I’m not 100% on these Smith’s. They both showed up in a contract year and we’re hoping it wasn’t a fluke. PFF have them graded out pretty average before 2018. Sounds like something we’ve dealt with before if I’m not mistaken.

5. Kato March 14, 2019

Wrong. I live in the Chicago area, therefore got to see the bears play on multiple occassions, and by extension Amos. I think he benefited a lot from the players around him, and the scheme. He can play, but if people are expecting him to create turnovers and provide great coverage on TEs, they will be sorely disappointed. He has 3 picks in his 4 year career. He is not a game changer.

6. KILLER March 14, 2019

Glad to hear it. 9 million a year so maybe 9 million per interception… if his production increases…..

What Are Your Thoughts? Comment Now! *No Registration Required*