The the Green Bay Packers are constructing their 2016 roster. Here’s who has been released on the way to 53.
We’ll update as we know more, so check back or refresh. Here’s Monty’s 53-man roster if you’d like to compare.
We are currently at 53 players.
- Safety Jermaine Whitehead — Because clearly the Packers weren’t going to keep seven safeties.
- Inside linebacker Beniquez Brown — That makes it official. The Packers have just three inside linebackers.
- Receiver Geronimo Allison — We like Allison and it looks like he was one of the last guys to go. Would be hard to keep eight receivers, assuming the Packers are already keeping seven. Still, we obviously would have taken Allison over Davante Adams or Trevor Davis.
- Long snapper Rick Lovato — A surprise only because who’s going to be the long snapper? J.C. Tretter? Don Barclay? Our guess is the Packers will sign someone off the street, which will necessitate another cut.
- Inside linebacker Sam Barrington — A surprise along the lines of Sitton. We had Barrington starting alongside Blake Martinez. It now appears the Packers will only keep three inside linebackers, with the starters being Jake Ryan and Martinez.
- Guard Josh Sitton — Sitton has now officially been released. The Packers announced the move around 3:30 CT on Saturday.
- Cornerback Robertson Daniel — It came down to him and undrafted rookie Josh Hawkins and Hawkins got the spot. Daniel played pretty well and will likely wind up back on the practice squad.
- Outside linebacker Reggie Gilbert — Another undrafted rookie at a stacked position.
- Inside linebacker Carl Bradford — This is the first surprise, as Bradford played well enough to make the roster. There was obviously a numbers game at inside linebacker, though. It likely means Joe Thomas is safe. Bradford does still have practice squad eligibility.
- Receiver Herb Waters — Didn’t make much of an impact in a very crowded receiver group.
- Running back Brandon Ross — Was the Packers’ fifth running back throughout camp. Only progressed to fourth when John Crockett was placed on IR.
- Defensive tackle Brian Price — Some people had Price making the roster. We were not among them.
- Fullback Alstevis Squirewell — Love the guy’s name and his story, but the former defensive tackle didn’t really show much in the preseason.
- Tight end Casey Pierce — The Packers are set at tight end and we knew who those guys were going to be on Monday.
- Guard Lucas Patrick — Plenty of depth on the offensive line. It will be tough for any undrafted rookie to make the team here.
- Quarterback Marquise Williams — No surprise here. Williams barely played in the final preseason game, when only he and Joe Callahan were truly available.
- Cornerback Warren Gatewood — Gatewood played plenty Thursday night and really stunk up the joint at times.
These players will go on an injury list and do not count against the roster.
- Center Corey Linsley — As expected, was placed on the physically unable to perform list. Will be eligible to return after week 6.
- Offensive lineman Kyle Steuck — Suffered a season-ending leg injury against Kansas City and was played on injured reserve.
- Defensive tackle Tyler Kuder — Also injured on Thursday and will go on IR.
Two players are suspended and thus, do not count against the roster until their suspensions are up.
- Defensive tackle Mike Pennel — Pennel’s absence for four games puts a serious dent in the defensive line.
- Cornerback Demetri Goodson — We see no reason why the Packers would keep Goodson around despite not counting against the roster, but we’ll see.